During the first test day of our manufactory process, we have ended up with just over 50 boxes worth of artisan mulling bags. We did the test primarily to identify all parts of the process that are in need of optimization to maximise output. To be able to maintain a healthy sale price on our product, we need to triple our current daily output.
Our biggest issue right now lays in the actual mulling bag filling process. The time needed to fill each bag with 5-6 different spices each is just too high. We cannot blend the ingredients together as by the time the smaller particles would collect at the bottom of the container and the mulling bags wouldn’t be filled with an even balance of the spice mixture to provide the best possible results in each and every bag. First, it seemed a checkmate, but for every problem, there’s a solution.
After two days of exhausting brainstorming sessions, we have come up with a small device that could potentially speed up the filling process by 4 times. We created a quick prototype by slicing up a few plastic bottles and fixing them together with duct tape. We are not too proud of the looks of that prototype, but however weak a construction it was, it already did speed the process up significantly, confirming the benefits of the tool and giving us the much-needed solution.
It was time again to get to Line Above and work out a more sophisticated solution for our tool. Kevin Woo, the company’s 3D artist created us a model of our tool and added some extra improvements to increase its efficiency. Now the model is ready to be sent out for 3D printing.